Location: Buffalo, Minnesota
Square Footage: 172,614
Total Cost: $49,732,071
Total Beds: 352 (initial), 600 (future)
engineering design initiative engineered the mechanical, plumbing, electrical, telecommunications systems for this state-of-the-art facility. The design included many sustainable features to reduce operating and maintenance costs in addition to minimizing the impact on our environment. This facility included the County Jail, Sheriff’s Office, E-911 Dispatch Center, and Main Data Center for County Information Technology.
- Geothermal heating and cooling (470- 230-foot wells)
- In-floor radiant heating
- Mechanical energy/heat recovery of exhaust air
- Occupancy sensors for lighting and ventilation control of spaces
- Daylight harvesting of natural lighting to reduce electrical consumption
- High-efficiency motors with variable frequency drives
- Full cut-off optics on exterior lighting to reduce light pollution
- Building-wide programmable lighting control to reduce electrical usage
- Redundant “ring” fiber-optic communications to serve site.
- 100% electrical back-up via on-site generator allowing the owner to participate in utility company curtailment program. This has resulted in an electrical rate reduction and added reliability for the facility operation.